Thursday, June 9, 2011

Golembiewski Family Matters, Memories and Upcoming Events

Golembiewski Family Memories


Posted by Steve - 
I don't know if any of you had ever heard this story, but - while visiting aunt Dorothy several weeks ago, we were told about an incident over 75 years ago. Grandpa had a large car (I think Dorothy said it was a Chevrolet), and he was very proud of it, especially since it was one of the first automobiles in the neighborhood. He let our dad, Steve, drive it. 
One time, Steve came home and looked really flustered and upset. He told his father that he had had an accident with the car. He and his father went out to look at the car, which was not damaged too badly at all. His father said there was no such thing as an accident and asked Steve what had really happened. Steve finally came clean and admitted that he had been distracted. Grandpa would not settle for that and pressed further. My dad finally admitted he was distracted because he was in the process of lighting a cigarette when the accident occurred.


Steve - 
I can remember going to Sacred Heart School, and almost fainting with fear whenever I went near the basement and smelled the alcohol they used to swab our arms before inoculations. I still get the same feeling whenever I smell that alcohol smell.  


Steve -
My parents' marriage certificate lists my mother's first name as 
Leocadia (I only heard her referred to as Lottie by her friends, and occasionally Lillian). However, that may have been a typographical error; long before the age of computers (1938), overworked clerks in a typical office might ignore such errors. As another example, my grandmother's name is listed as Totyraj, whereas we have always understood it to be Potyraj.

No comments:

Post a Comment